WELCOME!!!

Since our retirement several years ago, we have
been on the move almost continuously: sailing Live Now, long distance hiking, and taking extensive road trips (therapy hasn't helped). We established this Blog to share our small adventures with family and friends and, as our aging memories falter, remind ourselves of just how much fun we're having. We hope you enjoy it. Your comments and questions are greatly appreciated. Our reports here are mostly true except in those cases where there is no way for others to verify the actual facts.



View from the First Mate's Quarters

Several people have asked about living on a boat. Does my furniture fit? What did I do with my car? How do we keep warm, etc? Actually, you might be surprised to discover that a boat comes with all the furniture built in that you need. We have two bedrooms (staterooms, in nautical talk), two bathrooms (heads), a full kitchen (galley), a navigation area with desk, radar, GPS, a ham radio and other assorted gizmos, and a combination living/dining room, complete with two couches (settees), a television, stereo, dvd player, and satellite radio. We have a rotating antenna on the mizzen mast and we can get several tv stations in most places. The galley is equipped with a propane stove, oven, a microwave, a double stainless steel sink and a refrigerator/freezer (but they don't look like the ones in your house). I do not, however, have a disposal, dishwasher, or trash compactor. I do have my own sewage treatment system in one of the heads, however. Yes, the toilet has a computer in it. When you flush, it brings in seawater, mixes it with electricity, treats it, and it (according to Coast Guard studies as well as the manufacturer) comes out cleaner than what comes out of your town sewage treatment plant. We also have central heat, central air which operates just like your heat pump, except with water. It runs sea water through a pump, takes out the cold or heat, and spits the water back out. We also have a watermaker on board. We can make 20 gallons of fresh drinking water per hour from the ocean. Cool, huh? Well, all this sounds great, but we have never had all the systems working at one time~~I think the salt air and salt water take a real toll on these systems, plus the boat is 27 years old. Gives John something to do, and do, and do....

People seem to think that since we live on a boat we spend all of our time out in the ocean. Nothing could be further from the truth. For most of the last four and a half years, we were docked at a marina in a lovely New England town, within walking distance of restaurants and stores. All we had to do was step off the boat onto the dock, walk to the parking lot, and get in our car. Now that we are 'cruising', however, we stop each night either at a marina, where we can step off onto a dock and hope that there are restaurants and stores nearby, or we anchor in the harbor (much cheaper!) and dingy into shore. It's just like you exploring in your car or camper, but we do it on the water. It is a unique way to see things. What I like most, I think, is that I love to travel, but after a few months I get homesick. Now, I take my home with me.

Since the places we will stop are mostly places where people boat and go for recreation, there are usually great restaurants and shops all around, within walking distance. That also gives us our exercise. There are also many very helpful books that tell you what to expect at each port of call, like where to find the nearest boat supply place, the best restaurants, etc. It is also helpful, now, that rental car agencies like Enterprise will pick you up at the marina, in case we need to rent a car, which we will occasionally to go see family inland, or to see sights that are not within walking distance. We do still own a car, but it is stored in our garage at our condo in Centerville, Ohio~~we tried to sell it when we started cruising, but no one wanted a car with 206,000 miles on it~~imagine!

When we actually get to sail, it is one of the most relaxing things imaginable. You are moving through the water and all you hear is the sound of the wind and an occasional sail flapping. One of the most memorable things for me that has happened, not on this trip, but on an earlier trip, earlier boat, was when a large spotted dolphin swam right along side us, occasionally turning to look up at me while I hung one arm over the side trying to touch him. He wasn't a foot away from the boat, and I have to think that it was a special communion for both of us.


Initially, after we sold our house in East Greenwich, RI, and moved onto the boat, we stored all our stuff (what the kids didn't take). In the spring of 2007, however, we bought a small condo near our families in Ohio, where we can store all our stuff and have a place to be 'dirt dwellers' from time to time while we visit the family.

People have asked what we eat, etc. Well, while we are at a marina, we have 'shore power', which means we just hook up to their electricity. When we do that, I do alot of crockpot cooking, just like I did while on shore. When we're at anchor, we do alot of grilling~~there is a propane grill on deck. Also, while at a marina, we usually take the opportunity to stock up if there is a grocery nearby, as well as fill our water tanks and diesel tanks. The boat holds 140 gallons of diesel fuel (we have an 82 hp Ford Lehman diesel engine) and 120 gallons of water. The tanks are under the floor and work through a series of pumps, etc. There is also a diesel generator to use to generate power to restore the battery bank (which is under one of the settees) while we are at anchor so that we can have power when not at the dock.

Please feel free to ask questions. I will be glad to try to answer them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you first get in to sailing? How did you learn? Did you grow up doing it or jump in later in life?

Live Now said...

I gradually absorbed my love of sailing from John. He learned to sail with his uncle, mostly on a 36 foot trimaran. John came home one weekend early in our marriage from a sailing trip and he just looked like he had had a 'religious experience'! I swore to myself,then, that we would get a sailboat as soon as we could afford one. It was probably 10-15 years later before that would happen. We started small with a 22 foot Catalina, moved up to a 33 foot Ranger, and now have the 47 foot. As I am your garden variety chicken, John knew he had to start very slowly with me and ease me into sailing. He knows he cannot scare me or yell at me, etc. or I will not play with him! I have learned mostly from experience, but we also both took the Coast Guard boating and navigation courses, which are excellent. John has also had other classes. I had never sailed before I got married, but I love to travel. However, after 3-4 months, I get homesick. Now, I take my home with me.

Pat