WELCOME!!!

Since our retirement several years ago, we have
been on the move almost continuously: sailing Live Now, long distance hiking, and taking extensive road trips (therapy hasn't helped). We established this Blog to share our small adventures with family and friends and, as our aging memories falter, remind ourselves of just how much fun we're having. We hope you enjoy it. Your comments and questions are greatly appreciated. Our reports here are mostly true except in those cases where there is no way for others to verify the actual facts.



Amgen Cycle Race

Well, it is Thursday, May 20, and we are spending a day at the campsite, while John nurses his knee.  I am, by this time, of course, wondering how long he is going to continue to punish himself.  But, I know if he doesn't try his darnedest to finish this trail, he will regret it forever, so I say nothing.  Anyway, I have my own issues.  At 7,000 feet, I am having to deal with the altitude.  I find I have a headache that medicine will not touch, so I just go to bed while John hangs out nursing his knee.  As both of us attempt to deal with our various maladies, we just make a pot of chicken and noodles for dinner and eat out of the pot.

Friday, May 21, finds us up and at 'em again and in Big Bear Lake for the Amgen Bicycle Race.  I am told this is one of the most important bicycle races in the world.  We arrived early, set up our chairs at the 150 meter line, and I walked and John hobbled around the 'lifestyle expo' which accompanied the race.  There was a lot of  emphasis on cancer, with the Livestrong exhibit, plus lots of freebies including energy jelly beans, as well as lots of expensive sports items for sale.  John buys a new pair of sunglasses.  Finally, about 4 p.m., we get word that the riders are getting close.  We return to our seats, right in the front, and I get really excited when I see the first riders approach.  Then~~poof, in about 30 seconds it's all over.  I waited all day for 30 seconds?  It happened so fast that it just left me kinda wondering, "is that it?"  Yep, that was it.  Well, it was a good day, anyway.  We spent the rest of the day moseying around town, looking at the shops with the great western wear which I find so artistic...and people really wear that stuff out here.  I love it.  




No comments: