WELCOME!!!

Since our retirement several years ago, we have
been on the move almost continuously: sailing Live Now, long distance hiking, and taking extensive road trips (therapy hasn't helped). We established this Blog to share our small adventures with family and friends and, as our aging memories falter, remind ourselves of just how much fun we're having. We hope you enjoy it. Your comments and questions are greatly appreciated. Our reports here are mostly true except in those cases where there is no way for others to verify the actual facts.



On My Own

May 4th.  Well, after last night's steak dinner, John is  rejuvenated and  decided today to give it another go.  I dropped him off near the trail where I picked him up yesterday, went back to the motel, exercised to a tv program, reorganized the van and took off toward Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.  I am camping in a box canyon in which there are about a dozen campsites of about an acre apiece.  Each campsite has a covered shelter with picnic table and some have fireplaces.  Was surprised at how the wind whips down from the top of the mountains into this canyon.  Better have everything clamped down, or it's gone.  From my weather studies (I have read 3 weather books in the last year attempting to understand the un-understandable) I think what happens is that the lower elevation desert where I am warms up faster in the daytime, warm air rises, and that creates a vacuum down here into which the cooler air from the tops of the surrounding mountains rushes in.  Look out Weather Channel, here I come!


Before we had started on this trip, John built me a 'sleeping platform', complete with padding and indoor/outdoor carpet,  for the back of the van.  It even is hinged so that you can prop yourself up in bed and read.  Being alone, I didn't really want to deal with tents, etc., especially in areas which have snakes and/or bears.  I think this car camping thing will work just fine, thank you.  Am feeling pretty proud of myself tonight, being on my own out in the wilderness and not being afraid~~if I was, I wouldn't admit it, anyway.

No comments: